Welcome!

I don't like being defined for I have worn many labels through high school and college.
This blog is a challenge to myself to be true to who I am through writing what I really feel.
It is also a challenge to you readers to be true to who you are.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Second Class Scout (Rank not inferiority)

The Second Class badge consists of the scroll of the scout insignia.  It is turned up in a smile to remind the Scout to smile when doing a good turn.  The knot hanging from the badge is a reminder to do a good turn, and the Scout Motto, "Be Prepared", is inscribed on the scroll.

At this stage the Scout has learned to navigate with a map and compass, pitched a tent, worked with wood-tools, built a fire, participated in flag ceremonies, participated in community service, learned how to track animals and recognize plants, learned first aid, and demonstrated safe swim defense and participated in an anti-drug program.  These skills build confidence in the boys.  They also begin teaching the younger scouts new skills.  

I remember that as a Second Class Scout, I worked hard at first class, the first step towards leadership within the troop.  I learned so many things, and felt like I could take on the world.  I learned to shoot guns and bows, how to make a fire without matches, and I gained increased knowledge of the wilderness.  I got stronger from all the exercise of carrying water, paddling the canoe, and hiking far and wide.  I saw many beautiful landscapes and many a starry night.  I hope one day to have sons of my own to take camping with their troop.  To show them the wonders of this world and teach them all the skills I learned.

And now may the great masters of all scouts be with us until we meet again.

Byron Siwelnor.

No comments:

Post a Comment