Welcome!

I don't like being defined for I have worn many labels through high school and college.
This blog is a challenge to myself to be true to who I am through writing what I really feel.
It is also a challenge to you readers to be true to who you are.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The New Scout and Tenderfoot.

The new scout has the rank of Scout when he joins.  He is working towards his Tenderfoot rank by learning outdoor skills and scoutcraft.  These boys are new to the wonders of camping, and with their patrols they cook, clean, and camp together.  These scouts will learn such skills as how to use wood tools, how to tie knots, and pitch a tent.  These activities build confidence and self esteem and prepare the boys to learn more advanced Scouting lessons.  They are also learning the Scout Oath and Law and they are expected to live up to both in their everyday lives.  These early ranks have the largest number of scouts, and also the largest number of dropouts.  These ranks begin to teach responsibility.

I remember when I was a scout, on my first camping trip, my patrol was supposed to make chilly, and I was responsible for bringing the meat.  Let's just say I forgot, and the patrol had to settle for bean soup.  That lesson stuck with me through my whole life.  Even though I still would loose my head if it weren't attached, I make sure I have everything I need for whatever I'm doing.  Be Prepared.

Another big difference is that in Cub Scouts, the parents where more involved because the Cubs didn't go to very many long camps, but in Boy Scouts while there where lots of involved parents (The program would not run without them) they don't go on every outing with their son.  All that separation comes to a head during the week long summer camp.  During that week, the boys are expected to work on merit badges, and rank advancement, as well as have fun.  About halfway through, several of the scouts will be homesick and they will ask their parents to pick them up.  They usually start to have fun again within a day but it is a big adjustment to be away from your family for a long time.

Scouting is a great experience for all the boys who join.  You will not find very many people who regretted being a Boy Scout.  In fact many people regret quitting.  Parents get your kids into Scouting, if they like it and work at it, they will grow into great men.  


Byron Siwelnor

No comments:

Post a Comment