Welcome!

I don't like being defined for I have worn many labels through high school and college.
This blog is a challenge to myself to be true to who I am through writing what I really feel.
It is also a challenge to you readers to be true to who you are.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

First Class, the path of the leader begins again

The First Class rank is the first step of the leadership pole.  Most First Class Scouts will have completed a few merit badges, learned all about first aid and scout craft, and they will be the Patrol Leaders and Assistant Patrol Leaders.  They may also hold positions such as Bugler, Quartermaster, Librarian, or other leadership positions.  These Scouts are preparing to enter the stage of Scouting where they lead the troop.  Boy Scouts are Scout led. The Scoutmasters are only there as advisers, teachers, and guides, as well as to ensure safety and security for the Boys.  The Scouts themselves decide where to go, what to do, and how to do it with input from the adults.

This very system is why the Scouting movement produces such great leaders like most of the Apollo Astronauts.
It forces boys to make mature decisions for themselves and others, and teaches democracy as well.  Each position in the troop is elected by the troop.

By this point I had learned lots of scout craft and I was still learning more.  I focused myself on building leadership qualities.  I served as Troop Bugler and performed in many flag retirement ceremonies, and flag raising and lowering ceremonies.  I then became the Troop Assistant Senior Patrol Leader, and helped lead my troop for a whole year through the Star Rank.  After my one year term of office was up, I was appointed to be the Junior Assistant Scoutmaster (JASM) with my old friend Eugene, who was the SPL.  It was a good leadership experience and taught me a lot about myself, and how to lead large groups of people.  I took that experience with me when I led my high school band as the Drum Major, and when I led the high school tech crew.

These experiences are important in the development of boys into men. Boys who develop leadership skills in their teen years will continue to lead others as adults.

Byron Siwelnor, Eagle Scout

No comments:

Post a Comment